HAVAN Women’s Council
The HAVAN Women’s Council’s mission is to Engage, Encourage and Empower women within the residential construction industry. With a year of work under our belts, we are ready to expand with three subcommittees: Industry Tours, Networking and Social Events. See below for descriptions of each committee, including descriptions of the role of Chair for each.
If you are interested in joining a subcommittee, either as the Chair or a regular member, please be sure to attend our meeting on:
September 19th, 2019 at Dick’s Lumber Burnaby (2580 Gilmore Ave), 3:30pm-5:00pm
The goal of the Women’s Council Industry Tours is to open doors to verticals within the residential construction industry, not regularly considered by, or for, women. In an effort to help break down barriers within the industry, tours will highlight women in non-traditional roles and give insight into intra-industry opportunities, helping empower and educate HAVAN members.
For 2019-2020, there will be 2 industry tours.
- Identify and connect with potential host companies
- Coordinate preliminary details, including: interest in conducting a tour, relevance to the Women’s Council mission, availability, and filling out the Industry Tour questionnaire/template.
- Present company, tour information, and industry tour form to Steering Committee for approval
- Liaise between HAVAN, host company, and Women’s Council to determine tour logistics: date/time, availability, marketing, invitations and RSVPS, etc.
- Work with host company to create a cohesive plan (that follows Industry Tour outline) and ensure that they are following the WC message.
- Promote the marketing blasts – ensure that the relevant groups are invited and are joining (other women’s associations, students in trade, etc.)
- Work with host company to format their tour/script – ensuring that the format and content are lively and relevant to the WC message.
- Day of tour:
- Meet with host company tour guide and run through the tour
- Ensure that the applicable stations are prepared (sign in, refreshments, post tour social, protective gear is available, etc.)
- Help with sign in and flow of event
- Assist in cleaning up venue
- Post event: Send flowers/thank you card for the site tour and create a post-event marketing write up
- Gather feedback from host company, participants, and Women’s Council to continually improve the Industry Tours.
- Present improvement ideas and feedback to Steering Committee, and present recap of industry tour event at following Women’s Council meeting
The chair will be responsible for delegating and overseeing the tasks described above, liasing with the Women’s Council Steering Committee to ensure all tours go off without a hitch. Specifically the chair will:
- Lead the Industry Tours subcommittee
- Identify and recruit companies to participate in Industry Tours
- Help to expand Industry Tour guidelines and format
- Present Industry tour companies to Steering Committee for approval
- Liaise between HAVAN, Women’s Council, and host company
- Work with HAVAN to promote the tour through email and social media
- Work with Networking Subcommittee to actively increase number of volunteers and participants in tours.
It is important we recognize our responsibility of ambassadorship for all women in the homebuilding industry. We are stronger together! We can support & learn from one another, broaden horizons, consolidate efforts, and share experiences.
Rather than a specific focus on planning events, the Networking Subcommittee will work to grow our network within HAVAN as well as establish connections with other women’s organizations in our industry (although events may become a part of this subcommittee in the future).
The networking subcommittee will engage both internally within HAVAN, and externally with other organizations.
- Attend the HAVAN Welcome Membership Orientation Breakfast – welcoming women into HAVAN – as an ambassador of the WC
- Actively work to build a stronger HAVAN community by engaging and cross promoting with other committees. Ideas could include:
- Golf tournament involvement
- Co-producing a U40 Mentorship Breakfast
- Sponsoring a speaker at the AEM
- Engage and promote with the Education Committee
- Feed women-in-the-industry related news articles to the development committee GRU
- Take part in industry related schools’ trade shows and events in order to reach students (BCIT, Kwantlen, TRU, etc)
- Attend meetings and events by other similar groups, representing HAVAN. Groups could include:
- BC Centre for Women in the Trades (BCWitt)
- BCIT Trades Discovery for Women
- Canadian Association of Women in Construction
- CCW – Canadian Construction Women
- Passive House Canada Women’s Group
- We already have made contact with several of the above groups, as well as have crossover of membership between our council and some of the above.
The chair will be responsible for delegating and overseeing the tasks described above, then liasing with the Women’s Council Steering Committee. Specific tasks could include:
- Create a strong presence for Women’s Council within HAVAN – as a new committee we are still in the stages of building recognition internally
- Establish contact with external groups we have not yet spoken to
The purpose of the Social Subcommittee is to provide events for the Women’s Council to have fun and foster networking connections in a low-pressure environment. The conversations we begin at social events often carry on into future initiatives and can help encourage new members to join us in the future.
The Social Subcommittee will host 2 events in the 2019-2020 year.
- Brainstorm social event activities, with a focus on events that will foster conversation and networking.
- Plan chosen events and their elements (eg: venue, refreshments, sponsors)
- Assist in developing communications for events (email and social media posts)
- Promote marketing blasts – ensure that the relevant groups are invited and are joining (other women’s associations, students in trade, etc.)
- Be a positive presence at events to encourage conversation.
- When possible, attend other HAVAN events outside the Women’s Council to encourage cross promotion and attendance.
The chair will be responsible for delegating and overseeing the tasks described above, liasing with the Women’s Council Steering Committee to ensure all social events go off without a hitch. Specifically the chair will:
- Sourcing possible venues and activities including pricing, presenting options to the steering committee
- Working with the chosen venue to arrange details and communicate attendance numbers
- Coordinate with HAVAN team to set up event registrations
- Drive registration to events (through both online and offline promotion)