Editorial Archives - Novell Design Build
- By novelladmin
Work with NOVELL DESIGN BUILD
We currently have 5 job opportunities:
- Project Coordinator * hiring immediately
- (Junior or Intermediate) Residential Designer/Architectural Technician
- Senior Interior Designer
- Skilled Labourer * hiring immediately
- General Labourer * hiring immediately
We are an industry-leading Design Build firm, growing tremendously in our 15th year of business. We offer growth potential – yours and ours. We believe in personal and professional growth for our team members, with a culture of internal promotions. Over the last 15 years, we have cultivated an extensive professional network and have recently expanded with a sister company, Novella Outdoors.
Novell Design Build is a HAVAN member, BBB member, RenoMark Renovators and a BC Builders Code signatory. Our Director Laurel James is the first chair of HAVAN’s Women’s Council. Our team offers a positive, professional and inclusive environment, a tight-knit team, competitive remuneration, benefits and the opportunity to grow.
Here’s a quick summary of our Project Coordinator and Residential Designer/Architectural Technician positions available. Visit Novell Design Build’s Careers Page to learn more.
Full Time, Permanent * Hiring Immediately
Application deadline: 2021-09-13
- Estimating– scope creation, bid creation, vendor bid evaluation, purchasing and bid awards
- Budget Coordination , once the work is underway, working alongside Project Manager and Accounting team to track and report on budget updates.
- Schedule Coordination – collaboratively work the schedule, coordinating components and driving progress through the construction workflow
- Design Coordination – drawing and specification interpretation, scope of work creation & work collaboratively throughout the construction workflow.
- Vendor Management – prequalify new vendors, negotiate vendor subcontracts and work collaboratively throughout the construction workflow.
- Quality Control – play a role in receiving, verification of goods and services
Residential Designer/Architectural Technician
Full Time, Permanent
- Produce Drawing Deliverables – Assist in producing residential design drawings for permit and presentation using a combination of Vectorworks CAD, Vectorworks 3D and hand-produced work.
- Develop Design Selections – Assist in developing material and product selections, sourcing the market for solutions and integrating specifications/instructions into design drawings accordingly.
- Coordinate Design During Construction – Assist in producing and administrating supportive materials through construction, including: door/window schedules, site directions, change orders, responding to RFIs, or similar.
- Meet occasionally with suppliers, subconsultants, product and service providers to broaden our knowledge base.
- Assist with estimating the cost of projects from a design selections perspective.
- Assist with the research, development and organization of our product and vendor libraries.
- Learn to evaluate projects from a zoning, code and/or building performance perspective.
- Learn to flex different design muscles in response to the client’s vision.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with our sub-trades, suppliers and clients.
Please send your resume to “careers [ at ] novelldesignbuild.com”
While we appreciate all applications, only a shortlist of applicants will be contacted for interviews.
We’re always on the lookout for talented, hard-working, like-minded individuals. If you don’t see the role you’re looking for but are certain you’d make a great addition to our team, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
- By Laurel James
As we look back on the previous year, one thing is for certain. It has been a brighter, and more joyous year thanks to our clients!
I’d like to share a heartfelt thank you on behalf of our team to our new, continuing and returning clients for promoting kindness and creativity during such a uniquely unprecedented year. The world opening up again, slowly, but for us, our network has been full of reconnections.
We’ve had an unprecedented number of returning clients this year. Some are embarking on their next home and have asked us to help find the right development opportunity; many are installing home workstations, doing renovations to their home, repairing decks, and installing new tech for their home, like car lifts and new garage doors.
It has been a joy to know that these homes have grown alongside families and that they’d trust us again with their next projects. We’ve been so happy to provide services again — and even more excited to touch base with these families again!
It can feel daunting to set goals and plan for the future when 2020 was such a tumultuous year. Our relationship with our homes and our families has changed. There is a renewed need for beauty, calm, and purpose in our home – perhaps now, more than ever.
Ironically, this past year was going to be the year that Angelito and myself planned to travel. We downsized our home to an apartment downtown and planned to take more adventures. Instead of plane trips to new places, we’ve instead found new ways to explore BC, and have had the opportunity to revisit many homes from Novell’s past!
There is some light ahead as we all stretch and stumble back into familiar routines. The cycles of work and rest are carved deep into us, but we can be a little more flexible as well. We’re looking forward to continuing our design build work to make this possible within your homes.
- By London Camaclang
Welcome to Felicity
Felicity is a personal office studio and creative space located in the Dunbar-Southlands Neighbourhood in Vancouver. We design-built this Signature Shed with Novella Outdoors in 2020 and are now opening the space to Vancouver’s local creative community.
Felicity provides some much-needed flexible space for artists, writers, remote workers, students and independent creators. In exchange for free creative space, we will ask for your feedback on Felicity, on Google Reviews or Houzz Reviews and for your participation:
Visitors will be featured in an artist profile, writer’s spotlight, or visitor’s profile, and will have the opportunity to connect digitally with other visitors. We hope to provide a platform for visitors to share stories, connect with each other and support other local creators.
We look forward to hosting you!
Features and Amenities
- Private workstation in Felicity
- Access to the garden and green space
- Covered, outdoor table in the backyard
- Eight electrical outlets
- Dimmable ambient lighting
- Built-in floating table
- Storage bench with cushion
- Work chair and small seating poof
- Electric heater with thermostatic control
- Openable windows and skylight
- Lockable door from the interior
- Natural light and green surroundings
- Lush garden surroundings
- Outdoor table under cover
- Water station
- No wifi
- No washrooms on site
There is no cost to visiting Felicity. In exchange for a free shared space for creators, we ask visitors to:
- Respect the space, and follow our general site rules
- Provide feedback on Felicity via Google Reviews or Houzz Reviews
- Participate by providing some information for your artist’s profile, writer’s spotlight or visitor’s profile. This profile allows visitors to connect with each other, share their work, their thoughts and stories. More guidelines for respectful content will be shared upon your visitor’s confirmation.
Felicity is available for single-day booking requests, with 1-2 people per booking. After receiving approval, visitors will be given the exact address of Felicity. Visitors are free to arrive and leave within that day, as long as they follow our general guidelines.
- By London Camaclang
Inspiration for this Vancouver infill arrived in gingerbread form.
We fell in love with the idea of a turret …. and not just because it was covered in icing! Throughout our Design Build process, the turret has changed in location and size. The final design is a charming, custom curved dormer.
Framing this roof has been so rewarding and we wanted to share the process so far. We can’t wait to see this spectacular space completed.
This Vancouver infill is a laneway home that benefits from an additional boost in square footage. We’ve framed the custom roof to include varying slopes, custom curves, and vaulted height above the entrance and main staircase. Stay tuned for updates as our team moves into the next phases of this construction!
- By London Camaclang
We are committed to being a positive force in this industry for equal gender opportunity. This effort includes engaging with our community, professional associations, encouraging more women into residential home building, and empowering women to excel when they join.
We are proud to have a female founding director, Laurel James, who leads our diverse team. We have over 45% of staff represented by women, and know that every member is here on their merits, not because of their preferred gender.
Women in construction include a variety of professions. We are proud to say this represents every department and level of our Novell Design Build.
Laurel James is our Director and the first chair of HAVAN’s Women’s Council. She has strong feelings about the idea of a gender-balanced team.
For all her volunteerism and leadership for equality in our industry, Laurel believes that the best person for the job should be employed and supported. Women will rise to challenges and can prove their skills if presented the opportunity. While Novell Design Build doesn’t hire based on gender, it isn’t a coincidence that we’ve achieved near-gender parity on our team. Laurel and the rest of our team invite women into construction conversations often and encourage them to apply when a job opportunity arises.
Complacency, when it comes to gender hiring practices, simply isn’t an option and definitely isn’t a pseudo-solution.
The result of Laurel’s work is that we find women in construction, in all trades and professions, who believe that they are alone in their work. Women in construction aren’t alone, but our numbers are not rising at the rate we need. We need to do better.
“Women in British Columbia represent only about 4.5% of the skilled trades and that number has barely moved in decades.” reports the BC Centre for Women in the Trades.
If we could attract just 5% more women in BC, the massive labour shortage would be filled.
This week, we celebrated each other’s achievements. Five of our female team members shared their experiences and challenges with the residential design build industry. They represent a future where it’s not strange to see a woman accomplishing skilled labour, managing an office, designing a home, managing a construction project, or running a company.
We #ChoosetoToChallenge by being really good at what we do. A challenged world is an alert world and from challenge comes change.
See more on Instagram @NovellDB.
- By Laurel James
Women represent only 4.5% of the skilled trades in BC.
Women represent only 4.5% of the skilled trades in BC. Residential construction needs women to help close the trade shortage, in fact: it won’t recover without women.
A 5% increase would close the gap — but let’s aim higher. As part of our celebrations and efforts this week for International Women’s Day, we want to share all the ways women in construction #ChooseToChallenge, everyday.
With 115 members and growing, Women’s Council aims to ENGAGE the industry at large, EMPOWER women to excel and ENCOURAGE more women into the industry.
As one of their efforts toward these goals, they host regular events including an online Café Series. It’s an opportunity to connect with other professionals in residential construction, drink some wine together, listen to a moderated panel, and participate in an engaging conversation!
We are excited for the next Women’s Council Café Series on Wednesday, March 24 at 4:30 pm. Three highly experienced women from the trades world will be sharing how they found their career paths, diversified their skills, and continue to thrive in our industry today.
– Angela Cacase, founder of http://ow.ly/BGJt50DTsyP and Owner of A.Marie Design&Build LLC
– Kahla Lichti, Electrician by day and Published comic book writer by night
– Sandra Brynjolfson, Assistant Business Manager for IBEW Local 213, past Coordinator at the BC Centre for Women in The Trades (BCCWITT), a journey electrician for over 20 years, and a mentor to other tradeswomen
– Moderated by Sean Tobin, TCA Electric
Join the conversation at http://ow.ly/fsjn50DTsyQ ✅
- By Laurel James
Happy International Women’s Day 2021! The theme this year is #ChooseToChallenge.
Today, women around the world are celebrating each other’s achievements, raising awareness against bias, and taking action for equality.
A challenged world is an alert world and from challenge comes change.
Supporting and celebrating women in residential construction is an important part of Novell Design Build’s culture. We are proud to have more than 45% of our team represented by women, in all parts and all levels of the company.
This week, we will be celebrating with our team (and the rest of the globe), the social, economical, and cultural achievements of female leaders around the world. Just one day isn’t enough.
Follow along on Instagram @NovellDB.
- By London Camaclang
Novell’s Sunset Residence is showcased on this week’s Houzz Feature: Best Tiled Accents Beyond Bathrooms & Kitchens.
We’re inspired by these 21 examples of tile-accented living areas. They prove that the perfect tile can transform any space — and the options are limitless! Consider using custom tilework outdoors or in unexpected areas for an exciting surprise.
It’s important to note that many different feelings can be evoked with accent tile. The pattern often isn’t our only consideration; the type of tile, scale, size, texture and surrounding context makes for a vast range of tile opportunities. Just check out our Shaughnessy Residence and Kitsilano Residence to see just how impactful tiles can be! This is why it’s important to have a close dialogue with your design team in order to find the right fit for your home and lifestyle.
Scroll through Houzz’s feature round-up for some examples of tile-accented outdoor fireplaces and lounges, hallways, stairs and more!
Here are a few more photos from our Sunset Residence.
The fireplace is the home’s full-height focal point. Its bold colour scheme is a collection of incredible tiles, custom installed. The horizontal layers of tile are arranged to pull your eye upwards. We’ve balanced the fireplace’s visual interest with a light design rationale for the rest of the room. The white and neutrals in this living space come together to create an overall calming place to rest. In this way, the fine details of this home slip into the realm of the sublime.
Outside, we worked closely with our custom tile setters to make sure that the exterior finishes were seamless and waterproof. These tiles reflect light and make visitors feel bathed in sunlight, even in the darkest of rainy days.
Finally, the kitchen received a custom tile installation as well; although, the design rationale here is meant to add value without adding distraction. This kitchen feels light and spacious. If you look closely, you can spot some key details that add to the functional flow of this kitchen!
Thanks for joining us! Feel free to share your favourite accent details with our team on Instagram or Twitter. We’d love to hear your thoughts.